A dental implant is an excellent option to replace either one missing tooth, multiple missing teeth or supporting loose dentures. A dental implant replaces the root of a tooth – it is a screw-like post that is placed into the bone. Once placed and healing has finished, a crown, bridge or removable denture can be mounted on top.
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental Implants have many advantages. They look and feel like your own teeth and because they are fused with bone they are permanent. Dental implants don’t require reducing or altering other adjacent teeth (like a dental bridge). This means your own teeth are left untouched. Dental Implants are very durable and with good care can last a lifetime.
What is the process of getting an implant?
We take a team approach to dental implants – we work closely with the oral surgeon and together co-ordinate a plan that works best for you.
- The oral surgeon will place a screw-like post into your jawbone
- As the jawbone heals it integrates with the implant, anchoring the implant securely to it
- The healing period is usually three months, during which time a temporary denture can be used to replace the missing tooth.
- Once healing is completed, we can then mount the permanent crown or bridge over the top of the implant/s
- The crown or bridge will be custom made in a lab to match your existing teeth shape and colour
Considering Getting A Dental Implant?
If you are considering dental implants, arrange a consultation with our team. Our dentists will explain the entire process and answer any questions you may have. They will then discuss your options with you and create a plan that suits your desired outcomes! Contact us now to find out more!